Pages

What joy the gospel gives me. I can approach the throne of God with confidence, not because I've done a good job at my spiritual duties, but because I'm clothed in the righteousness of Jesus Christ. ~ C.J. Mahaney

Birthday Dinner, A Road Trip, and Fine Arts Day Camp


Tonight we celebrated Tom's birthday a day early. The three youngest girls and I are going over the river and through the woods to Grandmama's house tomorrow. So it was now or never. His birthday present is four days of peace and quiet! The menu was baked chicken, broccoli casserole, scalloped pineapple, salad, and chocolate cake.

Here is the chicken which I parboiled and sprinkled liberally with Fat Jake's Pig Powder before putting in the oven. I know what you're thinking--"That is a mess of chicken!" Well, when I cook, I COOK! No fooling around here. I think there are ten leg quarters in that pan. Here is a shameless plug for my friend Sharon's husband Bob's special seasoning. He created it to make the perfect seasoning for pork, and it is quite good for that. I don't cook a lot of pork, so I just use it on chicken. Yummo!

Also, I wanted to share this recipe for a delightful chocolate cake. I was making this so often that I finally taped the recipe to the inside of my cabinet door! Yep, it's that good. It is called "Mix in the Pan Chocolate Cake." It can indeed be mixed in the pan, but I like to mix it up in my snappy yellow bowl, which just makes me so happy.

Mix in the Pan Chocolate Cake
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup baking cocoa
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 cup veg. oil
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup strong brewed coffee
In a greased 8" square baking dish, combine the flour, brown sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Make a well in the center; add oil, lemon juice and vanilla. Stir just until moistened. Add coffee; stir until batter is smooth. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until done. Yield: 9 servings

Like I said, we're going to see Grandmama and Granddaddy Brinson for a few days. It's been nearly three years since we were at their house. Now before you get your knickers all in a knot, I will say that we meet them at the beach twice a year. In fact, Maggie thinks they live at the beach! Holly is looking forward to visiting them at their home because Mom kept all my old Barbies. The two little ones will be in Barbie Heaven for four days!

And finally, here are two photos of Lacy at fine arts camp this week. She had a blast playing in an orchestra for the first time. They sounded fabulous, playing an arrangement of Pachelbel's Canon with Tis So Sweet to Trust in Jesus. I had a lump in my throat because Pachelbel's Canon is probably my all-time favorite song. A masterpiece.

The violin section. That boy with the red hair is GOOD! The girl on the right was adopted from Vietnam. I spoke with her mother on the phone many years ago when we were looking into adoption. She and Lacy and another girl were in an ensemble together. Lacy enjoyed getting to know her.


Where is Waldo, er, I mean Lacy????


There she is!!!

Signing out....
I'll talk to you from the "other" Carolina!

Love,
Laura
Lee

1 comment:

Caroline said...

HEY!!!

Our puppies doin okay..got over his lil cough now he has some diarhea. We think its from changing his food though.

But anyways, I got job at a tiny grocers in the village!!! I can ride my bike there! Well at least during good weather.