Pages

What joy the gospel gives me. I can approach the throne of God with confidence, not because I've done a good job at my spiritual duties, but because I'm clothed in the righteousness of Jesus Christ. ~ C.J. Mahaney

Poppy Seed Chicken (or I'm a Paula Deen wannabe, y'all)

OK. Henriann asked for more recipes! She's a girl after my own heart. I'm happy to oblige!

Have you ever tried this? Poppy Seed Chicken is quite popular "in these here parts." Brad brought this recipe home from his friend's mom a couple years ago and it has become a favorite around here. I say that a lot, don't I? ..."favorite around here." I guess we just love to eat and have a lot of favorites.

Or, as Paula Deen would say, "We just love to eat, y'aaalll!

Ryan requested this as his "last supper" before he heads back to college. The boy is all about some chicken smothered in a rich sauce, let me tell you.

The recipe I have calls for 1-2 lbs of chicken breasts. Don't you just love that? One to two pounds?? Is it one or two, people?? Come on! So I split the difference and use 1.5 lbs. Actually I use a three pound bag of frozen chicken breasts and just double everything else, too, for my brood of scavengers. It is a really saucy recipe, so err on the side of more chicken rather than less. Besides, my worst nightmare is to not have enough food on the table! Which reminds me of something my dad jokes about.

Have you ever served a meal to company and worried just a tad that there might not be enough for everyone to have all they want? Just a little worried that someone will have to scrape a bowl? Well, dad says you just quietly say to the family "FHB." The guests are unaware and the family is totally clued in. What is "FHB", you ask? Family Hold Back!

Anyhow...served with a salad, some beautiful steamed carrots and broccoli, and fresh bread, this brought smiles to a table full of happy diners tonight. And we have a pile of leftovers for a quick lunch tomorrow after church.

Mmmmm, it's so-o-o goood, y'aaalll!

Boil and cube chicken.

Mix the sauce.

Load up the casserole dish.

Put some extra little hands to work making cracker crumbs.

No fair sneaking a buttery chuck o' cracker before serving!

Poppy Seed Chicken

  • 1-2 lbs boneless chicken breasts, boiled and cut into cubes
  • 1/4 cup chicken broth
  • 2 tablespoons poppy seeds, divided
  • 1 can cream of chicken soup
  • 8 oz. sour cream
  • 1 sleeve Ritz crackers, crushed
  • 5 tablespoons melted butter
Mix sour cream, chicken broth, chicken soup, 1 tablespoon poppy seeds, and cooked, cubed chicken. Pour into 1.5 quart casserole dish. Sprinkle with cracker crumbs, then drizzle with melted butter. Sprinkle last 1 tablespoon of poppy seeds over top. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.

edited to add:

This is NOT a Paula Deen recipe!  I have no idea of the origin.  I was just being silly with the "y'allll"!

6 comments:

nannykim said...

Hi--I hope your oatmeal came out well---my daughter and I both use the recipe all of the time and have had great success! WE both love it, but she does not put the raisins in---I have to have the raisins!! I use the old fashioned oats--have never used the quick oats --I have a feeling quick ones might come out soupy.

Hon's Daddy said...

Thank you, so much!
I was going to bake that chicken tonight. Now I have something new.
Hon told me our menu was getting boring!

Hon's Daddy said...

This recipe was a HUGE hit last night! Everyone wanted seconds, and there was very little left. Probably not even enough for one person for lunch today!
Hon thought this was just the thing we needed to liven up our boring menu.
Thanks!

missamay said...

Hey, I'm exited to try this Paula Dean recipe. I have one question- how long should I boil the chicken to cook it all the way through? I have cooked chicken lots of ways, but I haven't boil it before.

Laura Lee said...

Hi Missamay,

First I need to say that this is NOT a Paula Deen recipe. So sorry for the confusion! I have no idea the origin of this recipe, but since it has lots of butter, I just reminded me of her!

I boil my chicken, if it is boneless, for a good 20-30 minutes.

Hope this helps.

Laura Lee

Anonymous said...

was looking for poppy seed chicken and found it along with lots and lots of other simple quick recipes...thank you ..you will be on my desk top