Pages

What joy the gospel gives me. I can approach the throne of God with confidence, not because I've done a good job at my spiritual duties, but because I'm clothed in the righteousness of Jesus Christ. ~ C.J. Mahaney

Souper Bloggin', Again


I've mentioned before that the Crock Pot is my best friend. Bonnie McCullough suggests, in her book, Totally Organized, that knowing what you're having for dinner by 10 AM is one of the secrets to a productive day. She suggests you know what's for dinner by 1o PM the night before if you don't plan to be home for the day. Putting into practice this one little concept completely revolutionized my meal planning. We know we're going to be eating something; why not plan ahead a little and enjoy the pleasure of thinking about that tasty meal all day? I can't begin to tell you the what's-for-dinner-angst this simple concept has saved me.

These chilly days just scream SOUP! So I grabbed my favorite crock-pot cookbook, Fix-It and Forget-It, searching for a good potato soup recipe.

Low and behold my eyes came to rest on one that I had obviously tried before. I like to notate right in my cookbooks when I try a recipe and what the family's reaction to it is. It appears this was a big hit the first time I tried it, back in 2002.

So, I figure, why gamble with success? I have everything I need, so let's get busy!

I'll let that all simmer for most of the day, then right before serving, I'll add the milk and cheese.

Now, scoot over Bella! I want under that snuggly afghan! Did I say I planned to be productive today??


No-Fuss Potato Soup
  • 6 cups diced, peeled potatoes
  • 5 cups water
  • 2 cups diced onions
  • 1/2 cups diced celery
  • 1/2 cup chopped carrots
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 4 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 12 oz. can evaporated milk
  • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
  • 8 oz. cheddar or Colby cheese, shredded
Combine all ingredients except milk, parsley, and cheese in slow cooker. Cover and cook on High 7-8 hours, or until vegetables are tender. Stir in milk, parsley, and cheese. Heat through.

No comments: