Pages

What joy the gospel gives me. I can approach the throne of God with confidence, not because I've done a good job at my spiritual duties, but because I'm clothed in the righteousness of Jesus Christ. ~ C.J. Mahaney

Gingerbread


I don't know about you, but these cooler days make me want to warm up the oven and bake a spicy dessert. So the other day, my girls and I got busy and whipped up a batch of gingerbread for the family.

Not to brag or anything, but this is could possibly be the most delicious gingerbread I've ever put in my mouth. It's really that good!

So why don't you open up your cupboard, grab your ginger, cloves, cinnamon, and molasses, and give this fragrant, spicy cake a whirl? I bet your family will love it, too!

I always have plenty of help.


Plenty


We sprinkled it liberally with powdered sugar while it was hot from the oven.


And served it up on pretty plates.



Gingerbread
  • 1/2 cup oil
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 egg, slightly beaten
  • 1/2 cup molasses
  • 2 cups unbleached flour (King Arthur's is best)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon soda
  • 1 teaspoon ginger
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1 cup hot water
Mix oil, sugar, egg, and molasses. Add dry ingredients and hot water. Mix well. Pour into a 7X11 inch (or 8-9 inch round) baking pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.


Good girl, Bella. I'll share mine with you.

Love,
Laura Lee

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

YUM, sounds good. Don't know if it is the lighting or what, but it almost looks like a brownie rather than gingerbread. I'm sure it is good regardless though. Yes, I actually got chill bumps this morning and this evening wearing shorts and t-shirt. Need to go find some warmer clothes that I haven't seen or needed for three years. FUN!!

Maybe I'll try some too, later.
Rochelle

Anonymous said...

I "second" that "YUM!" I think I'll make some for G~Daddy. I know he'll like it because it's got Mo-lasses in it!
G~Mama

Laura Lee said...

It really was that dark!! I used dark molasses and a small amount of blackstrap molasses. And some of my family thought it was chocolate cake.