Pages

What joy the gospel gives me. I can approach the throne of God with confidence, not because I've done a good job at my spiritual duties, but because I'm clothed in the righteousness of Jesus Christ. ~ C.J. Mahaney

Dear Caleb


Dear Caleb,

My body tells me I should be awake.  My common sense tells me I should be asleep.  But I'm far too excited about this day to sleep right now.

This is a day I've looked forward to for nearly nine months. However, long before that there was a divine plan in place for this meeting today.  I don't believe in chance, or luck, or fate.  I believe God has brought you and me together in this time and in this place according to His plan.  
Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them.~Psalm 139:16

As hard as I've tried, I admit to feeling less than well-prepared for what is about to happen in just a few hours.  I've done this before, but that doesn't make it any easier.   We'll be ushered into a waiting room, likely with a couch, and you'll be brought to us there.  Your care givers will tell you to greet us.  They will tell you to call us Mama and Baba.  There will be much chattering and talking in background. They will probably tell you to hug us.  I just want you to know that you don't have to hug us or pretend to love us yet.  While we have loved you for months, our feelings will not be hurt if you do not love us right away.  We will do everything we can to earn your trust and love and acceptance.  Given time, I believe you will learn to love and trust us.  

You have a big family waiting for you at home.  You may be surprised when you discover how big!  Our guide gasped when she discovered we already have six children.  There is no such thing as large families in China anymore.  Your brothers and sisters are ready to scoop you up and love and play with you!

I came to China with the most wonderful man--your father.  He is gentle and kind and he's truly very patient.  He's the best daddy in the world and I believe you'll be able to sense that very quickly.  Please don't be afraid of his bald head and big, blue eyes!  He will lead you by example.  Follow his example and you will do well in life.  He is so excited about being your daddy.  

God has uniquely gifted you in ways we don't even know about yet.  We will help you discover your talents and abilities so that you can use them for His glory, all the days of your life.  

Be bold and courageous, Caleb. You're being asked to do something that most adults could never do.  You're going to leave everything that is familiar to you in a few hours and your life will change forever.  I pray that the transition is not too difficult for you.  I pray that you have an adventuresome spirit and like to try new things.  Many exciting experiences await you!  God has given you a future and a hope!  

With love,
Mama



3 comments:

Cathy Sirmans said...

What a precious letter to sweet Caleb. He is one lucky little boy to get to join this amazing family today. I have had the priviledge to watch as you have welcome one after another into your family over the years with selfless, unconditional love. You have truly helped each of them discover their God given talents and made it possible for them to use their talents for God's glory. I can't wait to see what God has in store for Caleb and for your family in the days to come. God bless you all as your bring another into your loving, God filled home and nuture them in the ways of the Father. Safe travels!

Love, Cathy Sirmans

Hannah said...

This brings tears to my eyes. I pray that the transition will be smooth for him and also for the both of you. Love!

Hannah

Anonymous said...

How wonderful an introduction. I know that when the times comes he can read that letter, it will be something he'll treasure for life. I've been thinking and praying for you all week, but especially as the time has drawn near for you to meet your new son (my nephew) Caleb. I pray that all goes smoothly and happily over these next two+ weeks and that things settle into a happy rhythm as you become more comfortable with one another. Can't wait to meet the new little prince.

Love,
Rochelle