Pages

What joy the gospel gives me. I can approach the throne of God with confidence, not because I've done a good job at my spiritual duties, but because I'm clothed in the righteousness of Jesus Christ. ~ C.J. Mahaney

Cauliflower and Apple Soup with Olive Oil-Fried Bread

 

Yeah, I know.  It sounds terribly strange.  Who puts cauliflower and apples together?  Well, this gal does and let me tell you, she created something magical with this recipe.

I'm one of those strange people who loves cauliflower.  But I'd venture to say that even if it's not your favorite vegetable, if you appreciate a steaming hot bowl of creamy soup on a cold winter day and you're even mildly adventuresome, you're going like this ridiculously simple soup.  I spotted this recipe while blog hopping recently and immediately bookmarked it.  I had a head of cauliflower (always super inexpensive at Aldi), an apple, a few strands of angel hair pasta, and plenty of milk.  So, why not? 

Given that all my children like soup, I prepare it often for lunch.  This one took about 45 minutes from start to finish, only because it took a while to come to a boil and then it boiled for 20 minutes.  All you do is chop the cauliflower into florets, peel and chop one apple, and bring them to a boil in a quart of milk.  After that begins to boil, you throw in a few broken strands of pasta, salt, and a pinch of sugar.  After it boils slowly for 20 minutes, you just blend the soup in a blender to achieve the creamy consistency. My new immersion blender, a Christmas gift from my sister-in-law, made simple (and might I add,  fun ?) work of the blending part.  The garnish for this was just cubes of bread, pan fried in olive oil until crispy.

It was impossible for me to even detect the taste of the apple in this recipe.  I suppose it is there to somehow counter the stronger cauliflower flavor.  And the pasta is only there to thicken the soup a little in the end.  Honestly, this was delicious and very filling.  It will be moving into our soup rotation for sure.

 Have a blessed weekend!

Love,

No comments: